Friday, December 19, 2014

Interruptions. An Advent Reflection.

We recently welcomed a third boy to our family. In the six weeks since, I've given myself a paternity leave. I've not been studying for my tests. I've not been "productive." But what should have been a peaceful time with the family has been speckled with anxiety. 

Last Tuesday I shared with my small group that I had been anxious. The Lord was calling me to welcome interruptions––from large to small: large, like welcoming a baby into the world. Small, like putting down my book for five minutes to read another book. 

We had been talking about the Sunday's sermon where we heard good news: The Kingdom of God comes in interruptions. We were challenged to ask the question: Have we prepared a way for the Lord to interrupt our lives? How so?

I had to answer "No!" 

My answer is emphatic because the question so literally applies to my life. 

Have I prepared a way for the Lord? 
No. I'm anxious about little interruptions of little people. They're getting in my way. (I confess that while this it looks terrible on the screen, it looks worse in real-life.)

I need to hear: "the Kingdom belongs to such as these." 
   And "Whenever you welcome one of these little ones, you welcome me." 
   And "Whatever you do for the least of these, you have done for me." 

Into interruptions I hear the voice in the wilderness: "Prepare the way of the Lord!" He's coming! 

Or will I be too anxious to welcome his advent? Too busy to put my work down?

Have I prepared a way for the Lord? 
No. I've got this baby who has royally interrupted my life. 
   I'm not studying. 
      I'm not reading. 
         I'm not progressing. 

But there's nothing like a baby to interrupt life, to shake up what's normal so that we can be re-oriented to a new normal.


My question: 
Am I ready to be royally interrupted? Will I hear the angels, celebrating in the fields: "born this day, in the City of David, is a baby, who is Messiah King." 

That's a royal interruption if there ever was one. 

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born a child and yet a king



This post has been simmering for a while. It has taken back-burner because of a significant interruption: Norovirus. I'll post about this tomorrow. Update: You can find this post here.

No comments: