Monday, March 24, 2014

Death: Not the Way It's Supposed to Be

Dad’s been dead for almost three months now. It was only a few days ago that I had my first good cry about it. This is the first of a series of entries that I wrote in the days following dad’s death. 

–––––––
–––––––
–––––––

Three weeks ago now, my dad died. As it goes with deaths, Ive had moments where it’s been difficult to get used to a new kind of life. 

Moments like yesterday when I built a really cool train track for the boys. What made it cool was all of the bridges. The piers for these bridges were granddad’s Christmas present to the boys. It was less than a month ago that dad and I were in the shop cutting and sanding the piers. I really wanted to FaceTime him so he could see the boys enjoying them. 

On Tuesdays and Fridays I hang out with the boys all day. Before he died, I would give dad a call after the boys woke from their naps. Now I’ve got to find something to do after naps and before dinner.

“It’s the little things,” a buddy told me. And he’s right. It’s normal life without dad that’s the hardest. 

–––––––

Death.
Dead. 
Die.



–––––––

Even seeing these words on the screen is hard. 

And so we insulate ourselves even from the words. 

Just tonight we had some girls from T’s dorm over for dinner. K is a Yooper. (That’s a resident of the U. P., which, for my southern friends, is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.) K grew up deer hunting. Her roommate, M, grew up in the suburbs. During our post-dinner conversation, M realized that the deer in their freezer was killed by K. (Or one of K’s kin––they killed so many last season that K couldn’t remember.) M was shocked. She repeated––loud enough for our neighbors to hear: “You killed the deer in our freezer?!” 

The irony is that M had a pile of chicken bones on her plate. 

The problem wasn’t meat, but killing an animal. 

Aren't we all a little like this? The disconnect in M’s mind between the pile of bones on her plate and the meat in their freezer highlights how we insulate ourselves from death and dead bodies. And this insulation is thickest when dealing with the death of the people who are closest to us. 

Perhaps it’s obvious (and an obvious understatement): We are uncomfortable with death. We are uncomfortable and so we hide, repress, and avoid it. 

As I’ve been living in this uneasy space, I’ve been encouraged to hold two things in tension. 

The first is that I shouldn’t hide. I cant build a track without a tinge of grief. Each Tuesday afternoon (so far) has  brought a cloud of loss and loneliness. But no matter how uncomfortable I am, I have to be sure that I’m not hiding. (As an aside, I'm so grateful that, on Tuesday evenings, we meet with our house-group from church––a place where I’m drawn out of hiding and into the life of community.

The second is that I’ve actually come to appreciate the fact that death should make us uncomfortable. It would have been easy to point to the bones on M’s plate and say “Seriously!? Don’t you see the irony? Death is the way its supposed to be.” Or, more close to home, to touch the cold hands in the coffin or point to the fresh pile of dirt and say: “You knew it was coming. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.” 

After all, “You are dust and to dust you shall return.”

Christians believe that this is a lie––or at least only part of the truth. Death should make us uncomfortable because death is not the way it’s supposed to be. We are dust, but our return to dust is evidence of a major problem. 


I’ll explore this problem more in the days to come. But this is a good place to sit for a while: faced with our own mortality and with the sin that causes it. And now, as we remember Jesus’ journey to Jerusalem, it’s good for us to be faced with the sin that caused his death, too. It is there, after all, that the problem meets its solution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing it with us, friend. (And that the train track is seriously incredible!) What a beautiful reminder of how your dad loved his grandsons.

pjbokc said...

Michael, very thought provoking writing, well written. Your dad would be very proud - he was, and is, very proud of you. I wasn't able to visit your dad when he was going through those difficult days of his long stay at Baptist, as I was beginning my cancer fight and chemotherapy, and staying away from hospitals as much as possible. I imagine Byron and I were processing a lot of the same thoughts. Thoughts about the possibility of death; and I know, for me, more than any other time in my life, I was reflecting on my belief in Christ, and what that truly meant to me when facing the difficult health issues. When I didn't feel like doing anything by lying in bed, I would read from a devotion book appropriate for my circumstances. I experienced some of the most peaceful moments of my life after I closed my eyes and meditated on what I'd read about - God being with me, his promises to me as His child..... Since then I've thought about others I loved and lost, like Randy, and I feel he too likely reflected and hung to those promises that come with our faith in Christ. An organization here in OKC had a post on face book about that time that really "struck a cord" with me. It talked about the things on this earth - like losing a loved one prematurely. Those are the things that remind us we are not meant for this world. We are passing through, hopefully fulfilling God's purpose for us here, and "bound for our promised land" where our love ones are. We all have a limited number of special people in our life on this earth - those who love us "no matter what". Your dad was one of those for you. We experience a permanent change in our life on earth when we lose one of those special people

pjbokc said...

Below is the post by the OKC organization I referred to in my first comment.

By Salt and Light Leadership Training (S.A.L.L.T)

"There is an unease that creeps in as life marches on. It is a realization that life on earth is not forever and our lives as we know them now will be changed. In these moments, when we've said goodbye to another friend who was taken too young, or we've come home after a visit with a loved one who no longer knows your name, or when we feel the sting of being rejected or ridiculed, we are reminded this is not our home. We were not designed for this place but for another. Every wrinkle, every loss and setback are a part of God's plan to prepare us for the journey home. Don't waste any more time, forgive your enemies, love your neighbors and find comfort in knowing God knows what He is doing. I am grateful for you. We are in this together and I can't wait to see what God has in mind next. Don't give up or give in to your doubt. He is real and powerful and compassionate and He will return when we least expect it. You are loved."

Dr. Nathan Mellor