Sunday, November 24, 2013

From ISBN to Excel File for your Library

I have flirted around with a workflow for scanning my books' barcodes and getting them into a library. Here are the steps that I've tried. Full disclosure: It's been over a year since I've done anything with it and I had not worked out all of the kinks.

1.) scan the barcodes with my iPod touch using any of a number of apps. I think the one I used was zbar? 
2.) If I remember right, this will export the ISBNs to .csv file. 
3.) Upload .csv to Goodreads––a social media site for bibliophiles. (GR will allow you to upload like 200 books without a paid account. But I think that I may upgrade. Last I checked it was a onetime fee for unlimited books on my shelf.) I also considered using Google Books for this, but their "shelf space" was too limited. If Google has given more space in the meantime, it would be cool because you could then electronically search your paper books.
4.) From here, Goodreads will fetch the book info from the ISBN and put it into a database. 
5.) At this point I downloaded a spreadsheet which I uploaded to Google docs. I can consult my own library easily and can also keep track of book lending. 

No comments: